That was one of Yasmin Ahmad favorite quotes.
Though i don't know her personally but is such a waste for us Malaysia especially in advertising industry. For those who never know her, you can see her Petronas Ad every festive seasons. I guess not on this coming Deepavali. And hard to see another movie director as good as her. For those who dunno. She was the director for alot of famous movies such as Sepet, Guhbra, Mukhsin, Muallaf and few others more.
The day before she got stroke my bro just saw her and had a smoke with her. She was a wonderful and friendly lady he said. I will say she changed the perception most of the Malaysians and keep reminding us in every way by her ads.
May she rest in peace.
Yasmin Ahmad 1958 - 2009
Name : Yasmin Ahmad
Occupation: Leo Burnett creative director / scripwriter / director / producer
Place of birth: Bukit Treh, Muar, Johor
Date of birth: July 1,1958
Husband: Abdullah Tan Yew Leong (married January 2003)
Education and career
• A graduate in arts, majoring in politics and psychology from Newcastle University.
• Worked as a trainee banker in 1982 for just two weeks.
• Worked for IBM as a marketing representative while moonlighting as a blues singer and pianist by night.
• Began advertising career as copywriter for Ogilvy & Mather.
• Joined Leo Burnett in 1993 as joint creative director with Ali Mohammed and eventually promoted to executive
creative director at Leo Burnett Kuala Lumpur.
Rabun, Sepet, Gubra, Mukhsin, Muallaf, Talentime
• Also responsible for numerous Petronas ads and Singaporean commercials
• Bintang RTM 1975 runnerup
• Most Original Story and Best Film (Malaysian Film Festival 2005 – for Sepet)
• Best Film (27th Créteil International Women’s Film Festival, France – for Sepet)
• Best Asian Film (18th Tokyo International Film Festival, Japan – for Sepet)
• Best Film (Global Chinese Golden Arts, Malaysia – for Sepet)
• Best Screenplay, Best Film (Malaysian Film Festival 2006 – for Gubra)
• Silver (Netpack Festival, Indonesia – for Mukhsin)
• Best Film – Grand Prix award by Kinderfest International Jury and Generation K-Plus category Crystal Bear
Special Mention (Berlin International Fim Festival, Germany — for Mukhsin)
• Best Asian Film (The Cinemanila International Film Festival, Philippines — for Mukhsin)
Hari Raya ad
Funeral TVC Commercial
the video below is a tribute to Yasmin Ahmad