free web site traffic and promotion

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Roti Canai


Up to this day i still remember the very first day of my school which located not far away from my house. Being a kid, the night before my very first day of school my dad gave me RM1 to spend at the school canteen. I was never know how to buy things before that and being me, i am weak in calculations. My dad was an independent dude; he came alone to Kuala Lumpur when he was at the age of 18 if i not mistaken. So being a strong and independent father he would like me to learn it on my own. So he never taught me how to use the money to buy food at the canteen. As for my mother, a typical mother always concern and care for their children. She ironed my school uniform and my short blue pants and hang it nicely outside my room as i go to bed at 10 o'clock. She told me to have enough sleep and not to wake up late for my first day at school. There is so much things to remember what to do and what shouldn't i do for my day. Being me, i always get excited for any special event and therefore the night before i hardly fall asleep even after 13 years.

Waking up on a cold morning was hard for me. Somehow, someway, i got up and wore my school uniform and nervously walk to my school with my girly-pink-colour-bag. Yes, it was pink in colour but being a kid at that age it doesn't matter to me. As i holding my mother's soft and loving hand she reminding me to get back my change when i buying my roti canai later at the canteen. As i check my pocket to make sure the money i with me i noticed i left it at home and there is not enough time to walk back to take the money and my mom only have 60 cents with her. So on that day i only have 60 cents with me.

After for 2 hours of classes the bell finally rang and all of us in the class lining up for recess. At that moment i was nervous like hell as i was about to make my very first buy of my life. As i walking to the canteen with my right hand holding a 50 cents and a 10 cents, i was about to skip my meal as i was too scared to buy a roti canai. But i didnt, instead i took a deep breath waiting in a queue. As my turn to buy my roti canai the uncle with a very kind eyes asked me in a very polite way, "apa mau" he asked. I took a deep breath and mumblely reply him "rrr rrrrr roti canai satu!" then he asked again "kuah apa mau?" i just reply him "tak mau" then i walked away.

The very first day of my school had finally passed. As i walked out of my class i saw my mom waiting for me with her hand holding an umbrella waiting under the hot sun. I ran to her like any other kids did. Then we walked home, on the way walking home my mom asked what did i spent for the 60 cents that she gave to me earlier this morning. I told her i bought roti canai. Then she asked again was the kuah too hot for me. I told her i didn't get any kuah as i only can afford to buy the roti canai and out of money to buy the kuah. Then she smacked my head told me the kuah is free!!

That is the day i learnt how to buy things with money and roti canai kuah is free!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Hahahaa a simple, but a great written post. Brings me back to the 1st day of my school days. Ahhh those were the days. :)

rodney said...

thx for the comment Melanie. School days are fun but it only remain memories and we cant go back to those days..just remain memories and make us smile. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails